Monday, August 20, 2012

The challenge so far

My first challenge, a linen chemise, took a little longer than expected. This was my May/June challenge.

It took a while to work out how to do the sleeve ruffles, but I ended up hemming them with a rolled hem, and using whipped gathers to gather them up, which made for a nice easy whip stitch attachment.


July's project was a pair of mitts from the Kannik's Korner Stockings, Pockets and Mitts pattern. This pattern contains historical documentation.
I also found some extant  examples in museums

 Colonial Williamsburg, 1785-1840

I made my mitts from a cream cotton linen blend from my stash, with embroidery in a brown thread.

First I made a mock-up from scrap fabric, as i had to add a significant amount of size to the arm.


I think I put the thumbs in the wrong way, but they work so I'm not going to fix it!



For August I am working on a cap using the Kannik's Korner Woman's and Girl's Everyday Headwear Caps Pattern. 1740-1820. I am making the round eared cap using cotton lawn.
The pattern contains research that indicates that this style was used in the period, but I am also inspired by this picture of Jane Austen, done by her sister Cassandra and now held in the National Portrait Gallery.
I am also researching designs for several reticules, as well as painting designs for a fan.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fabulous work! Looking forward to seeing pics of the cap soon :)